About Ilios Group
The fund is managed by a team of successful and well-networked cryptocurrency investors, traders, and research analysts. Our team has a diverse professional background including computer engineering, data analytics, trading, risk assessment, leveraged finance, oil & gas, startups, and military.
We pride ourselves on actively trading the market, with coverage 7 days per week. Cryptocurrency can be extremely volatile, we thrive by staying at the forefront of news, price action, and social sentiment.
A Diverse Approach to Managing Your Assets
Active Asset Management
We participate in active day-trading, swing trading, automated trading algorithms, and futures trading through the CBOE.
Passive Asset Management
We invest in, run, and maintain masternodes and participate in staking and forging.
Venture Capital Management
We're often offered early access to many initial coin offerings (ICOs), security token offerings (STOs), simple agreements for future tokens (SAFTs), and equity deals in various crypto startups.
The Financial System is Broken
The existing financial system is overloaded, over-valued, and technologically archaic. We believe the financial sector is going to one day become truly digital, global, fragmented, and decentralized.
Data Security and Privacy
Financial institutions must employ serious security measures to ensure privacy and data security for their customers at all levels of the organization.There are several significant risks:
- Data breaches affecting consumer financial or personal information
- Poor management of compliance security standards
- Centralized consumer data owned by corporations
Non-interest income has been a rapidly growing line-item on the earnings report for major world banks. Withdrawal fees, monthly minimums, transfer fees, ATM fees, transaction fees, and even inactivity fees, plague everyday consumers.
Lack of Transparency
The 2008 financial crisis highlighted what happens without proper transparency. If people are ill-informed about the risks they face, they will act without rationale in moments of uncertainty. There are increasing levels of ambiguity within the traditional financial system with meaningful data and information being hidden from the consumer.
Fiat currency is not backed by any type of physical asset or reserve and thus, more supply can be created from thin air. One of the major risks of fiat is that it relies on the confidence people have in the currency and in the nation backing it. There have been many examples of hyperinflation destroying the full faith and credit of a national currency, cryptocurrency solves for this.
The Future is Decentralized
Blockchain technology and the digital asset ecosystem are here to stay. The world has never been more connected through tech and we believe decentralization will be the common theme of Web 3.0.
Blockchain is a type of distributed ledger, meaning that everyone shares the same data as opposed to having individual copies of it. Then, data can only be updated through mutual consensus.
In any instance where safeguarding data is important, blockchain can change how sensitive or critical information is shared by helping to prevent fraud and other unauthorized activity.
Speed and Efficiency
Transacting anything is a time-consuming process vulnerable to human error often needing third-party mediation. Blockchain streamlines and automates transactions so they can be completed faster and more efficiently.
Blockchain replaces the middle man, reducing costs. Everyone has permissioned access to a single, immutable version of the same data. Even if you can't trust the transacting party, you can trust the data on the blockchain.
A Complete Admin Dashboard
We're building an online portal to increase transparency and make sharing data more efficient. Traditional 'hedge funds' seem to be stuck in the 80s. Investing should be as easy hailing a cab from your phone or finding the best takeout with a tap.
We're simplifying the investment experience.
- Fully manage KYC / AML process
- Online payment gateway with offline payment option
- Invest with fiat, cryptocurrency, or both
- Easy to understand reporting and performance monitoring
- News, insights, and industry updates
- Mobile friendly & intuitive
Click on any profile to learn more>
Co-Founder & Managing Partner
- Commodity & Interest Rate Futures trader; CME Group
- Series 3 License
- Fmr. Senior Consultant at Grant Thornton for Aerospace & Defense, Bio-tech, and Financial Services
- Fmr. Director of Community and Marketing at Everest
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Southern California (USC)
Co-Founder & Managing Partner
- Investment strategist managing profitability performance modeling and general risk assessment
- Fmr. Aviation Officer; United States Navy
- Experience in traditional regulatory bodies, charters, and interbanking agencies
- Pursuing a Masters in Science in Data Analytics and Data Science at the University of Chicago
- B.A. in Global Business from the University of Southern California (USC)
- Early stage startup investor and sales strategy consultant for several top blockchain startups
- Fintech entrepreneur & crypto blogger w/ over 5mm monthly organic impressions
- Designed and lead sales training and development for GrubHub, Inc (GRUB) from startup through IPO
- Advisor to Beaxy Exchange, HXRO Games & OmniSparx.io
- B.S. Organizational Leadership from Penn State University
- Writer and fundamental research analyst for digital assets and blockchain technology
- Co-Founder at Bravado Trading; an online crypto community with 65,000 subscribers
- Quantitative and qualitative data analyst at Project Peers and the SHESC Ethnohydrology Study
- B.S. in Health Sciences from Arizona State University
- MPA with a specialization in Health Care Administration from DePaul University
Mike Chmielewski, CFA
- CFA Charterholder and Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Responsible for financial reporting and analysis along with tax oversight
- Concurrent experience in middle market leveraged finance
- BBA and Master of Accounting from the University of Michigan Ross School of Business
- Data Scientist at a top 50 logistics brokerage
- Fmr. options and futures trader at the Chicago Board of Trade
- Blockchain project consultation, asset management, and cryptocurrency mining
- Deep knowledge of the operation, performance, and maintenance of masternodes
- M.S. in Predictive Analytics from Northwestern University and a B. Arch at the Illinois Institute of Technology
We'd love to chat with you and learn more about your goals.
In the meantime, here are some common questions we get.
What is Ilios Group?
Ilios Group is a managed portfolio investment fund that allows investors to get exposure to the expanding digital asset class and the startups building within the Blockchain ecosystem.
Accredited investor requirements
To be considered eligible to invest in the Ilios Group fund, you must be an accredited investor.
To be considered 'accredited' a person must have an annual income exceeding $200,000, or $300,000 for joint income, for the last two years with expectation of earning the same or higher income in the current year. A person is also considered an accredited investor if he/she has a net worth exceeding $1 million, either individually or jointly with their spouse. The SEC also considers a person to be an accredited investor if he/she is a general partner, executive officer, director or a related combination thereof for the issuer of unregistered securities.
In 2016, the U.S. Congress modified the definition of an accredited investor to include registered brokers and investment advisors. Also, if a person can demonstrate sufficient education or job experience showing his professional knowledge of unregistered securities, he too can qualify to be considered an accredited investor.
When did the fund open?
We completed the necessary registration procedures and opened to investors in March, 2018. However, we decided against accepting investor funds due to the market being highly over-bought following the historic bull run.
After the market crashed and consolidated at yearly lows, we finally decided to take our first external flagship investment in December, 2018.
Where are you located?
Our mailing address is 141 W. Jackson Blvd Ste. #1710A, Chicago, IL 60604. Our office is located inside the historic Chicago Board of Trade.
Is Ilios Group a hedge fund?
We take speculative positions in derivatives and short sell certain cryptocurrencies, so technically, yes. However, we only have investment exposure to the digital asset ecosystem. We invest in tokens, coins, and equity. In that sense, we're not hedged against the crypto industry.
Do you 'short' cryptos?
We have institutional accounts with Kraken (Payward, Inc) and CBOE (Chicago Board Options Exchange). These accounts allow us to gain short exposure to Bitcoin, Ethereum, and several other popular cryptocurrencies.
Do you day trade?
A portion of our strategy includes actively trading many different digital assets. Some trades last longer than others, but generally speaking we're making trades every day.
Do you use trading algorithms?
Yes. We regularly run different trading algorithms for Bitcoin and Ethereum in order to diversify our approach when leverage trading.
Why not just HODL?
Because it doesn't work.
Can you invest in ICOs?
We are always evaluating the best opportunities. Through our extensive network, we have been able to gain early access to the most popular token sales. As long as the token sale is compliant, we are usually eligible to participate. An STO (security token offering) is still considered a type of ICO.
What is a SAFT?
A SAFT (Simple Agreement for Future Tokens) is a form of fundraising, intended for crypto startups and directed at accredited investors, which promises tokens when the project or company becomes operational. The difference between a SAFT and ICO/STO is that under an ICO/STO the tokens are issued immediately; under a SAFT it is a promise to deliver tokens.
How are tokens / coins stored?
The best security is the kind you don't talk about. With that said, take comfort knowing that most of the fund assets are stored completely offline in multi-sig hardware wallets with military grade encryption.
Do you accept international investors?
In most cases, yes. We have a compliant off-shore feeder fund established to allow us to accept investments from Non US investors. Please contact us to learn more.
Our legal counsel is Cole-Frieman & Mallon LLP, an investment management law firm.
What risks are involved with investing?
There are several important risks to consider before making any investment decision. They include but are not limited to lack of diversification, illiquidity, and volatility. Please review our important risk disclosures here.